This policy was last modified on March 11, 2010.
General Privacy Statement
This website gives users the ability to contribute a portion of their online and offline shopping dollars to participating schools and nonprofit organizations. Once a user registers with this website and becomes a supporter, he or she can shop with any of our merchant partners (each, a “merchant partner") or participate in one of our shopping loyalty programs and earn contributions he or she accumulates when shopping for one or more of the schools and/or nonprofit organizations associated with this website (each, a "participating nonprofit").
We take the privacy of users of this website very seriously. Because we gather certain types of information about users, we want to help you understand the terms and conditions surrounding the collection and use of that information. This privacy statement discloses the types of information we collect and how we use it.
Collection of Personally Identifiable Information
As part of providing you with products or services, we may obtain personally identifiable information from you. "Personally-identifiable information" is information that can be used to identify or contact you, like your name, telephone number, and email address. The following are examples of situations in which we collect personally-identifiable information from you:
* You provide us with information by completing forms, applications or otherwise entering information on this website.
* You provide us with information in writing or by telephone, such as when you contact our customer service staff.
* When you voluntarily register with this website, we require you to provide your name, email address and zip code. You will be requested, but not required, to provide additional personally identifiable information, such as postal mailing address, phone number, date of birth, gender, occupation, and credit card information. You will also be requested, but not required to provide certain demographic information as well as information about your personal interests and preferences. You will also be asked to designate a participating school and/or nonprofit to receive contributions from purchases you make.
* If you use our Invite Friends service, you will provide us with names and email addresses of your family and friends, and authorize us to notify them about our products and services on your behalf.
* If you send us personal correspondence, such as through email, or if other users or third parties send us correspondence about your activities or posting on this website, we may choose to collect such information into a specific file about you.
* We collect information about your transactions with us, our merchant partners, participating nonprofits, including information about purchases you make through any of our loyalty programs. When you register your credit card with us, we will process and report only the purchases you make through our participating merchants, so that your chosen school or nonprofit cause earns much-needed contributions. We will maintain records to keep track of the contributions you earn from your purchases made through any of our loyalty programs. We do not track all purchases made using any registered credit card, only purchases made using our participating merchants. When you register your OneCause Visa Platinum credit card, we will process and report all purchases you make through the OneCause Visa Platinum credit card, so that your chosen school or nonprofit cause earns much-needed contributions. We will maintain records to keep track of the contributions you earn from your purchases made through your OneCause Visa Platinum credit card. You can use our website to view your service account balances and recent account activity, update your account profile, or contact a customer service representative.
* In order to confirm your enrollment in our credit card based loyalty programs, we may confirm with your credit card issuer that you have consented to that card being enrolled in one of our loyalty programs. In order to keep track of and collect your contributions, we collect from third party processors details of your transactions such as the date and amount of your transaction.
* In your Privacy Settings, you have the option to "Hide my contributions from other Supporters and hide the ways I choose to contribute (i.e. Online Shopping, OneCause Visa, etc.) from my Champion." Should you uncheck this box, OneCause will disclose to your Cause Champion which programs you participate in, including whether or not you have a PTA Visa powered by Capital One or a OneCause Visa Platinum provided by Chase, and how much you have contributed under those credit card based loyalty programs.
* From time to time, we provide you the opportunity to participate in contests or surveys on our site. If you participate, we will request certain personally identifiable information from you. Participation in these surveys or contests is completely voluntary and you therefore have a choice whether or not to disclose this information. The information typically includes contact information such as name, email, and shipping address, and demographic information such as zip code. We use this information to monitor site traffic or personalize the site, to notify contest winners and award prizes.
Use of Personally Identifiable Information
We use your personally identifiable information as follows:
* To develop, offer and deliver our products and services, to offer products and services of our corporate affiliates, merchant partners, participating nonprofits and other companies, to manage and to process transactions in your accounts, and to fulfill legal and regulatory requirements.
* To notify you via email about special offers or other products and services that may be of interest to you. We may also contact you and deliver information to you that, in some cases, are targeted to your interests, such as targeted banner advertisements, and product offering communications. You will always be able to decline any or all of these communications by indicating your preferences on the pages at this website on which your contact information is collected, or by following the directions included in our emails or other communications.
* To improve our marketing and promotional efforts, analyze site usage, improve our content and product offering and customize our content, layout and services.
* From time to time, we post testimonials on our website. If we use any personally identifiable information in the testimonial, we will receive permission to post the testimonial.
Please note that information obtained by us through this website may be intermingled with and used in conjunction with information obtained through sources other than this website, including both offline and online sources. We may receive contact information including email addresses from those schools and nonprofit causes that participate in our loyalty program. We only receive this information from those schools and nonprofit causes whose members have affirmatively opted to have their contact information shared according to those schools and nonprofit causes' privacy policies.
Sharing Personally Identifiable Information
* In order to provide our products and services, we may share personally identifiable information about you with our corporate affiliates, agents and service providers to perform functions on our behalf, such as to send email and postal mail, analyze data, provide marketing services, process applications and credit card payments, and service accounts. We contractually obligate these service providers to access and use personally identifiable information only as needed to perform their functions and for no other purposes.
* We may disclose personally identifiable information about you to third parties when we believe such disclosure is appropriate to comply with a legal requirement, such as a law, regulation, court order, subpoena or search warrant, or in the course of a legal proceeding. We may also disclose personally identifiable information as we believe appropriate to enforce or apply our rights under our agreements with customers, to protect the rights, property or safety of CauseLoyalty, our customers and others, including exchanging information for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Non-personally Identifiable Information
Non-personally-identifiable information is information that cannot identify a particular person. This type of information includes a zip code or city or state of residence, without an association to a name or address, as well as information transmitted during routine internet communications, a user’s Internet Service Provider, a computer’s operating system and browser type. Our Web servers record in our log files the routine internet transmission information noted above, as well as the date and time a visitor’s browser contacts our site, the browser version, IP (Internet Protocol) address used, number of clicks, domain name, the order of pages accessed, amount of time spent on each page, and if applicable, the search term that directed the user to this website. We use this log file data to administer this website, analyze website usage and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. We may provide aggregated, non-personally identifiable information about our supporters to third parties for audit, marketing research and other purposes. Because aggregated data is not associated with any particular person, these third parties will not have access to any personally identifiable information about you.
Change of Control
If there is a bankruptcy or change of control in our business (whether by merger, sale, or otherwise), information collected at this site (including personally identifiable information) could be sold as part of that transaction and your personally identifying information potentially could be used by the purchaser. Notice will be posted on this website so that you are aware of this change of control.
Cookies and Other Technologies
We may allow advertisers and other third parties to place cookies onto your computer when you visit our website. These vendors may use information about the ads you view on this and other websites in order to provide advertisements targeted to your interests. We have no access or control over these third party cookies. If you would like more information about these practices and to learn your choices about not having this information used to target ads to you, please click here.
The OneCause Toolbar will leave upon uninstall a registry key that will be used to identify your account and computer if you so wish to reinstall the OneCause Toolbar at a later date. In order to remove that key, please follow the instructions below:
1. Click the Start button at the bottom left of your Windows Desktop.
We take precautions — including technical, administrative, and physical measures — to safeguard your information. We use technical safeguards such as firewalls and data encryption. Your account information including email address is located on a secured server behind a firewall. When you enter sensitive information (such as credit card number or your password), we encrypt that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL). Because email and instant messaging are not recognized as secure communications, we request that you not send sensitive information (such as Your Password) to us by email or instant messaging services. We authorize access to personally identifiable information including email address only for those employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to operate, develop or improve our services. These individuals are bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline, including termination and criminal prosecution, if they fail to meet these obligations. We also enforce physical access controls to our buildings and files.
Your information may be stored on servers in the United States, either by us, by agents that are restricted to storing and processing such information on our behalf and according to our instructions, or by the advertising partners whose services you seek. The information that we store is usually deleted as space requires or in the normal course of business.
Links to Other Websites
This website contains links to the websites of our merchant partners. We do not own such merchant partners' websites, and do not have access to such merchant partners' servers. We are not responsible for the processing of any transactions or orders placed on such merchant partners' websites, nor will we be responsible for the privacy practices of such merchant partners. If you have any questions regarding the privacy practices of such merchant partners, please review their respective privacy policies or contact them directly.
Information Changing or Removing
Choices Regarding the Receipt of Marketing Messages
This website is not directed at or intended to be used by people under 13 years of age. This website does not knowingly collect personally-identifiable information from anyone under the age of 13. If this website is made aware that it has received personally-identifiable information from someone under 13, we will use reasonable efforts to remove that information from our records.
C/O Rakuten USA
294 Washington Street, Suite 1150
Boston, MA 02108